Loading... Please wait...
Date-Sweetened Coconut Hazelnut Spread
Makes about 1½ cups
- 1 (14 ounce) can Roland® Coconut Milk
- 10 pitted dates
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- Add the coconut milk, dates and hazelnuts to a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until it just starts to bubble. Then turn heat to medium-low and cook about 25 minutes or until the dates can be easily smashed with a wooden spoon.
- You are just cooking the hazelnuts and dates to soften them up and to infuse some of the hazelnut flavor into the coconut milk. The coconut milk will also reduce by about 25% to make the mixture thicker.
- Set aside and allow to cool. Once it’s cool add the mixture plus the vanilla to a blender and blend until smooth. You may need to scrape down the bender a few times with a spatula to blend in the last of the tiny date pieces.
- Store in the fridge in a covered container for up to 1 week. Please note that the spread will get even thicker in the fridge.
1. Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa to the blender to make it chocolaty.
2. Use cashews, almond or pecans in place of the hazelnuts.
3. Add ¼ to ½ teaspoon of stevia or 1 to 2 tablespoons agave nectar to make it sweeter.© Kathy Hester 2013
- Note: This recipe is great spread on toast or graham crackers, drizzled on top of vanilla ice cream or even used as a cupcake filling. No matter how you use it you can feel good that this creamy coconut hazelnut spread is sweetened entirely with dates.
Stir in a spoonful to your coffee to add the creaminess of the coconut with a hint of caramel from the dates all wrapped up in natural hazelnut flavor. (Please note it may separate when you first add it in but as you stir longer it will incorporate perfectly.)
*© Kathy Hester 2013